Chamber Music Program
Participation in the Chamber Music Program is by audition only and is encouraged for all instrumentalists. See audition requirements. Ensemble assignment is determined by age and experience. All Chamber Music ensembles perform in December and April. Ensemble sizes range from groups of two through eight and can be varied instrumentation depending on composition needs. Ensembles are coached by faculty members on a weekly basis throughout the school year.
Orchestral Music Program - Young Virtuosi
The Young Virtuosi Chamber Orchestra is a highly-selective ensemble designed for senior-level musicians. Participation is by audition only and is encouraged for all who perform on orchestral instruments (see audition requirements). Placement into the ensemble is determined by age and performing level. Tuition fees will be due following the audition and acceptance into the program. Participation in other conservatory courses is highly encouraged but not required.
The program will provide:
- Music, rehearsal and performance venues.
- Instruction in 26 weekly rehearsals.
- Performance in 3 public concerts annually.
- Additional performances at outreach concerts and fundraising events.
This ensemble is intended to meet the needs of the most advanced students in the region, and will remain focused on quality over quantity. Accordingly, there are no outside sectionals or rehearsals.
Repertoire is selected from all musical eras and styles. Enrollment for the 2009-2010 academic year will be limited to strings only, although a European tour for the summer of 2011 is being planned for both winds and strings (see below).
Proposed repertoire for 2009-2010 includes:
- Mozart: Adagio and Fugue
- Beethoven: Grosse Fugue
- Shostakovich/Drew: String Quartet No.8
- Pärt: Fratres
- Tchaikovsky: Serenade in C major
- Adams: Shaker Loops
- Barber: Adagio for Strings
- Diamond: Rounds for String Orchestra
The proposed European tour for the summer of 2011 will include the following elements. Although every effort will be made to reduce costs, there will be additional fees required for this tour. Additional details will be made public as they become available.
- Visits to Prague, Vienna, Italy, and France.
- Performances in the above locations.
- An academic course which will familiarize tour participants with the political, cultural, artistic, and musical history of the regions.
- A cultural and musical exchange with students at the Conservatoire National de Musique in Perpignan, France.
- All transportation, housing, and museum entry fees will be included in the cost of the tour. Food will not be included in the tour fees.